Reasons to Avoid Using the Self-Cleaning Feature on Your Oven

On average, 82% of the meals consumed by Americans are cooked in the home. Not only will eating at home save you money, but it also provides you with an opportunity to cook healthier meals. Bringing culinary creations to life will require the use of your stove or oven. As time goes by, your oven will start to get dirty and will have to be cleaned. 

Most people think that using the self-cleaning features on their stove is the best way to get rid of grease and grime. In reality, using this feature can be dangerous. Below are some reasons why you should avoid using the self-cleaning feature on your oven. 

Avoid Fire Hazards

There are over 350,000 home fires in the United States each year. These fires can be caused by a variety of different things. However, one of the most common sources of home fires is cooktops and ovens. This is why you need to be very careful when cooking on or maintaining your oven. Using the self-cleaning function can be dangerous because the grease in the oven can catch on fire. 

Failing to remove large pieces of food or grease before using this self-cleaning feature can be disastrous. The high amount of heat used during this self-cleaning can also result in fuses blowing and catching fire. Rather than putting yourself or your family at risk, try cleaning your oven by hand. 

Dealing with the Fumes

If your oven is filled with grease and grime from the meals you have cooked in the past, heating it up can lead to dangerous fumes being created. When using the self-cleaning feature on your oven, lots of heat will be created. This heat will not only burn the food particles in this space, it can also burn off of the enamel lining. 

When these fumes enter the air supply in your home, it can be hazardous to your health. Not only can these fumes be bad for your respiratory system, they will also create bad smells. Trying to get these bad smells out of your home once this self-cleaning is done can be nearly impossible. Hiring professionals to come in and clean your oven will help to ensure no bad odors are left behind. 

Self-Cleaning Ovens Can Produce Carbon Monoxide

Another reason to avoid using the self-cleaning feature on your oven is that you may inadvertently release carbon monoxide into the air. This is an odorless and tasteless gas that can irreparably damage your lungs if you breathe it in. Over 50,000 people visit the emergency room each year because of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home is a great way to keep your family safe from this invisible killer. You also need to avoid using the self-cleaning feature on your oven when trying to steer clear of carbon monoxide. 

Get Your Oven Repaired the Right Way

Is your oven not working properly? Contact Appliances Repair Services and let us diagnose and fix the problems you have with this essential appliance.